shame on fema

Victor Odhner vodhner at cox.net
Thu Sep 8 23:50:28 MST 2005

Alan Dayley wrote:

>They heard the cries.
>
>http://newsvac.newsforge.com/newsvac/05/09/09/0037250.shtml
>
>I suspect they are under such criticism currently that they had to do
>something about this issue.  Wonder when the fix will be real and complete.

I read somewhere in the Slashdot thread on this subject that they
explained this as having been an internal app designed for use by phone
support people, not by the general public, and that they were correcting
it for use by regular folks.  That's a little bit more excusable,
although it was pointed out that there is no reason why they could not
make an internal app standards compliant.

On slashdot a couple of posters also indicated that the whole thing
worked fine if you set the client string to indicate IE6.  I don't know
how far into the application they got this way -- they implied that the
whole thing simply worked.

Someone on TV recently demonstrated how many clicks you had to go
through to find the application form.  Hopefully that also is a symptom
of its having been an internal app, and the the "corrected" version will
bring the app closer to the entry page.

On TV it was also pointed out that the form asked for a current postal
mail address and phone number, so they can contact you for an interview,
and that a lot of the applicants would not have either of those.  But in
reality, they really do need some way to contact the applicants ...