WAP purchase recommendations?

Kevin Brown kevin_brown at qwest.net
Thu Sep 8 07:18:09 MST 2005

>>I also recommend the wrt54g(s) ... or for that matter, the older
>>Linksys router models.  I'm running over the 802.11b router now
>>(forgetting the model number, offhand).
>>
>>I am curious what your budget is, though.  The wrt54g typically runs
>>around $50-$60.  Most of the major manufacturer models (D-Link,
>>Netgear, etc) will have their wireless routers at a similar price ...
>>maybe $10 or $20 cheaper, at most.
>

> Well, I was looking for something "just good enough" and hoping to find
> it around the famous Fry's Airlink 101 special of $17.  Ebay has some
> older stuff going for less than $10 but is it worth it?  Probably not.
>
> However, I am rapidly steering away from that idea.  The WRT54G is the
> one I have wanted for a while based on it's hackability.  And I am
> rapidly coming to the conclusion that I should get what I want, not what
> I can get by with.
>
> My budget constraints can be summarized by two important points:
> - - I have two daughters in high school band and two boys in scouts.  :^)
> - - I have a wife who supports my geekiness but would rather not pay for
> it.  ;^)  (Don't tell her I said that!)
>
> I was just attempting to minimize the outflow of cash.
>
> I'll probably end up springing for the WRT54G.  In fact, late last
> night, discussing what I was shopping for, my wife asked me why I don't
> go ahead and get one.  :^)

Are you really wanting a router with wireless capabilities or were you
really just looking for an Access Point to add to your network?

The WRT54G is a broadband router with wireless features.  But linksys
does sell just pure WAP devices.

WAP11 (802.11b) $59.99
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=280108

WAP54G (802.11G) $59.99 with $20 rebate ($39.99 after rebate)
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=300648