WAP purchase recommendations?

Kurt Granroth plug-discuss at granroth.org
Thu Sep 8 06:30:55 MST 2005

On Sep 8, 2005, at 12:08 AM, Alan Dayley wrote:
> Mike Garfias wrote:
>> I run a Linksys WRT54GS with the sveasoft talisman firmware.
>>
>> Rather appropriate as the wrt54gs runs linux as its os, and with
>> sveasoft or
>> the openwrt firmware is totally hackable.
>>

> That is a nice one.  I am aware of it's hackability.  If budget was
> not
> a consideration, I'd go for that one.
>
> But, I can get something cheaper much sooner and I'd have to wait
> longer
> to get that one.

I also recommend the wrt54g(s) ... or for that matter, the older
Linksys router models.  I'm running over the 802.11b router now
(forgetting the model number, offhand).

I am curious what your budget is, though.  The wrt54g typically runs
around $50-$60.  Most of the major manufacturer models (D-Link,
Netgear, etc) will have their wireless routers at a similar price ...
maybe $10 or $20 cheaper, at most.