workgroup project

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Thu Sep 8 01:27:30 MST 2005

moin, moin,

We had several people volunteer to help out for the evacuees. We weren't
immediately ready to go, though. As many people in New Orleans learned,
tomorrow can be too late.

In order to be able to help at the next opportunity we need to proactively
have the resources setup.

Before we can work on it we need to decide what we want to provide.

To quote Alan again:

###
An excellent resource would be a beefy server and a bunch of older
computers to boot as diskless thin-clients on the server.  This would live
in a PLUGgers closet/room/business until needed.  Then, transport it to
the location, plug it in and boot up.

This would be useful for:
- Emergency network access in the community as in the current situation.
- A demo system at trade shows, etc.
- A training/demo for Linux meetings or training classes.
- InstallFest showcase.
- Conference registration.
###

I think this is a good goal.

What services do we want to include?

Here's a list I came up with.

. boot and install server
. diskless workstation server
. name server
. proxy server
. nfs
. easy and secure account creation

Good additions:
. web server
. mail server
. jabber server/gateway
. sshfs server

BTW, in the end this is self-serving for us, because we can really use it
for the InstallFests.

Let's surprise Einstein and help our humanity catch up :).

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/
#  "It is appallingly obvious that our technology exceeds our humanity."