Fema and Plug

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Wed Sep 7 22:23:02 MST 2005

Am 07. Sep, 2005 schwätzte Alan Dayley so:

> Kurt Wolf said:
> > I think the first question will be, "Can we assist FEMA?".  Followed by,
> > "What will FEMA let us do?".  Once those two questions are answered, we
> > can move onto, "What resources do we have?"  I recommend that someone be
> > designated as the FEMA liaison to be the point person.  After that,
> > let's get all interested parties in one room and figure out the
> > direction we want to head and how.
>
> You are correct.
>
> However, if I may make a comment/suggestion for the group.
>
> An excellent resource would be a beefy server and a bunch of older
> computers to boot as diskless thin-clients on the server.  This would live
> in a PLUGgers closet/room/business until needed.  Then, transport it to
> the location, plug it in and boot up.

The same suggestion I was sitting on, just to see if it popped up from
someone else :).

> This would be useful for:
> - Emergency network access in the community as in the current situation.
> - A demo system at trade shows, etc.
> - A training/demo for Linux meetings or training classes.
> - InstallFest showcase.
> - Conference registration.
> - Etc.
>
> So, from where I stand, even if FEMA or whoever does not need us this
> time, having such a system ready to go at any time would be a huge asset
> to the group.  And, the next time an emergency situation comes up we could
> say "We have a 20 workstation network ready.  Where do you want it?"

Exactly!

By setting them up at InstallFests and other events, we're even testing
the setup. That will help us find issues and reduce maintenance.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/
#  Molotov Bible - religion thrown at other people in order to cause an