music formats and iPod

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Sep 6 20:27:44 MST 2005

On Tue, 2005-09-06 at 19:50 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-09-06 at 18:18 -0700, Ted Gould wrote:
> > Craig White wrote:
> > > now that I've ripped 3000 songs from my cd's I'm beginning to wonder if
> > > I made a mistake by having the default format AAC (Apple's format).
> > >
> > > I can export the music using gtkpod but I can't see a plug-in for xmms
> > > that plays .m4a files (I presume that this is Apple's AAC) and I REALLY
> > > don't want to start over...It's taken me a long time to get this far.
> > >
> > > Any ideas about what is the best way to handle these things?
> >
> > I believe that recent versions of Rhythmbox support AAC.
> >
> > http://www.gnome.org/projects/rhythmbox/
> >
> > But, they are using GStreamer, so any GStreamer based audio program
> > should support them.  I don't think the GStreamer plugins for AAC are on
> > all distros, you might have to find them for your's.
> ----
> clearly the issue here - my gstreamer and gstreamer-plugins emanate from
> FC-3 and that has to be why the mp3 & m4a files aren't playing for me.
>
> OK - I see I got my work cut out for me.
----
got it solved.

Wow - for the first time I am glad that I bought decent speakers for my
computer. Sounds even better than through the ear buds.

I think the AAC/m4a format is pretty good - better than mp3. I hope
Apple doesn't make me regret using the format.

gtkpod -> rhythmbox is a nice combination. gtkpod can export all the
files in ordered folders - it's awesome.

Craig