Need Linux digital camera advice

Jared Anderson PluggedIn at TheGoldenEdge.Com
Tue Sep 6 19:00:17 MST 2005

On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 20:48:18 -0700, Siri Amrit Kaur writes:
>I'm wanting to get a digital camera. I don't know anything about
>digital cameras or how to get them to work in Linux. I've never
>attached a USB device of any kind to my computer, I'm that far behind
>the times. My son has an Olympus Camedia C-50 and it takes great
>pictures. I've searched, but can't tell if it's supported in Linux.
>
>From what I've been reading, what I really need is a flash reader
>that's supported in Linux- the camera model doesn't matter so much.
>Do y'all agree? If so, what do I need to know about flash readers- or
>anything else camera-related-  before I buy one?
>
>Thanks for any advice you can give me.
>
>Siri Amrit

I've used both the flash reader and USB connection directly and have never had any
issues.  I've even plugged in a cheap little USB camera I bought for my kids in and
it worked without problem.  I use gtkam and it works like a charm
(http://gphoto.org/proj/gtkam).  Only thing I can't do is adjust some of the camera
settings through the PC.

If my memory serves me right, any camera that doesn't use PTP mode, can be mounted
as a mass storage device.  Depending on your kernel, you would need the modules
usb-storage and sd-mod.  These cameras basically are a flash reader in themselves.

If it is a PTP camera, then you'd have to use software to get the pictures.