Need Linux digital camera advice

ec eculbert at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 6 08:12:00 MST 2005

Siri, in my limited experience with linux and usb
cameras, I have found that some of the newer versions
of linux 'leave behind' the drivers for older
technology camera's. Ex: I, not being into camera's
much, had a JamCam kids $30 camera w/usb. Knoppix
supports it in Knoppix 3.2 and I think 3.3, but not in
later versions. Luckily I didn't toss the 3.2 cdrom.

So make sure the camera works with the version you are
using, and IF you pay much for the camera, KEEP the
cdrom's just incase you have to re-install the
software to get the camera to work!! Or the drivers
are not available except on that install or Live cd.

Just my two cents worth.

--- Siri Amrit Kaur <tigerflag at tigerflag.com> wrote:

> I'm wanting to get a digital camera. I don't know
> anything about
> digital cameras or how to get them to work in Linux.
> I've never
> attached a USB device of any kind to my computer,
> I'm that far behind
> the times. My son has an Olympus Camedia C-50 and it
> takes great
> pictures. I've searched, but can't tell if it's
> supported in Linux.
>
> From what I've been reading, what I really need is a
> flash reader
> that's supported in Linux- the camera model doesn't
> matter so much.
> Do y'all agree? If so, what do I need to know about
> flash readers- or
> anything else camera-related-  before I buy one?
>
> Thanks for any advice you can give me.
>
> Siri Amrit

Cyclists should expect and demand safe
accommodation on our public roads,