won't POST

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Sun Sep 4 18:25:35 MST 2005

Am 04. Sep, 2005 schwätzte FoulDragon at aol.com so:

> In a message dated 9/4/2005 5:00:24 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
> PLUGd at LuftHans.com writes:
>
> >Dunno what POST codes are.
>
> FWIW, as the BIOS runs, it outputs a number to port 0x80 when it achieves
> various steps in the boot cycle.  Some mainboards now have LEDs which will
> display the number as it advances, and you can know what's wrong by the last step it
> reached.

I don't see any LEDs on the mainboard. There is one light set in the front
of the case that goes to amber. Another box of the same make and is still
running has the light off.

> Since it doesn't even count the RAM, I'd check that.  Reduce the system to a
> single stick of memory.  Try different sockets.  Borrow another stick from a
> known-good machine.

It's already down to a single stick that was working. I will have to try
with RAM from elsewhere.

> One more possibility-- is it hanging from overheating?  Make sure the
> heatsink's on and the fan's running (if one's equipped).

I thought of that last night, so left the box turned off for the evening.
After running for a while today ( waiting on it again ) the heatsink
didn't get very warm.

The box had been up and running for several days, including several
reboots.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/
#  If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then