Need Linux digital camera advice

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Sep 4 04:26:47 MST 2005

On Sat, 2005-09-03 at 20:48 -0700, Siri Amrit Kaur wrote:
> I'm wanting to get a digital camera. I don't know anything about
> digital cameras or how to get them to work in Linux. I've never
> attached a USB device of any kind to my computer, I'm that far behind
> the times. My son has an Olympus Camedia C-50 and it takes great
> pictures. I've searched, but can't tell if it's supported in Linux.
>
> From what I've been reading, what I really need is a flash reader
> that's supported in Linux- the camera model doesn't matter so much.
> Do y'all agree? If so, what do I need to know about flash readers- or
> anything else camera-related-  before I buy one?
>
> Thanks for any advice you can give me.
----
You don't have to worry about cameras if you use a card reader which I
would suggest as the best option anyway. Cameras are clunky on the desk
and unless camera has a dock, using the camera connected to the computer
runs the batteries down OR you have a bunch of cables across your desk
to provide power and computer connection.

Fry's sells 7 in 1 card reader for $ 7.95 (sometimes less on sale) so
there's no need to worry, plus card readers are easier and safe to use.

SD & XD cards are small and fast. Some camera's ***cough*** Canon still
use Compact flash and of course there's always Sony stik stuff. I really
like the SD (my camera, phone and mp3 player - the one before I bought
the iPod are all SD).

Craig