mplayer-gui disappears

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Sep 2 05:58:01 MST 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-01 at 23:00 -0700, Josh Coffman wrote:

> --- Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2005-09-01 at 12:25 -0700, Josh Coffman
> > wrote:
> > > Hi all (oder: 'Tag alle),
> > >
> > >   Quick summery: mplayer-gui flickers a small
> > window
> > > and disappears in the blink of an eye.
> > >
> > >   This is a once step forward - two steps back
> > > problem. I've been working on getting video
> > streaming
> > > to work (in firefox) and mostly have gotten it. I
> > > worked through the problem on my laptop then
> > > implemented the solution on my desktop also.
> > >
> > >   The desktop is fine, but I must have messed up
> > > something in tinkering on the laptop. mplayer-gui
> > was
> > > previous working. In my tinkering I had also
> > installed
> > > then remove Kaffiene. When I discovered it I used
> > > Yumex to remove and re-install mplayer and its
> > > components. The mplayerplug-in still works with
> > > streaming, but the mplayer-gui still has the same
> > > problem.
> > >
> > >   Is there somewhere to find a log to see what's
> > > happening? Anyoone seen this before or know a fix?
> > ----
> > version?
> >
> > My fedora 3...
> > # rpm -qa|grep mplayer
> > mplayer-1.0-36_pre5.rhfc3.at
> > mplayer-fonts-1.0-6.at
> > mplayer-skins-1.0-pre3_12.at
> > mplayer-skin-mini-0.1-11.1.at
> > mplayerplug-in-3.05-1.1.fc3.rf
> >
> > .at = axelthimms.repo
> > .rf = rpmforge.repo
> >
> > I would definitely recommend forgetting yum/yumex
> > and doing the
> > 'smartpm' thing.
> >
> > Craig
> >
> I checked the version and tried running from the
> command line. Thing is, I'm not sure what normal is so
> I don't know what is wrong. Running gmplayer from the
> console does give me a couple errors. I just don't
> know  what to take as a problem. Any help?
>
> $ rpm -qa|grep mplayer
> mplayer-mencoder-1.0-0.lvn.0.23.pre7.4
> mplayer-gui-1.0-0.lvn.0.23.pre7.4
> mplayer-fonts-1.1-0.lvn.3.4
> mplayerplug-in-2.80-0.lvn.1.4
> xmmplayer-0.3.3-0.lvn.4.4
> vdr-mplayer-0.9.13-1.lvn.4.4
> mplayer-1.0-0.lvn.0.23.pre7.4
>

> $ gmplayer
> MPlayer 1.0pre7-4.0.0 (C) 2000-2005 MPlayer Team
> CPU: Advanced Micro Devices Athlon 64 Clawhammer
> (Family: 8, Stepping: 8)
> Detected cache-line size is 64 bytes
> CPUflags:  MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 1 3DNow2: 1 SSE: 1
> SSE2: 1
>

> vo: X11 running at 1280x800 with depth 24 and 32 bpp
> (":0.0" => local display)
> Linux RTC init error in ioctl (rtc_irqp_set 1024):
> Permission denied
> Try adding "echo 1024 >
> /proc/sys/dev/rtc/max-user-freq" to your system
> startup scripts.
> Opening joystick device /dev/input/js0
> Can't open joystick device /dev/input/js0 : No such
> file or directory
> [...]
----
the stand alone mplayer (gmplayer) doesn't work without the skins. As
you can see from my package list above, I have mplayer-skins and
mplayer-skin-mini packages but I am using rpmforge - and not livna.

It's complaining that there is no default skin - which I would have
expected to be supplied by mplayer-gui rpm - try this command...

rpm -ql mplayer-gui

and see if the skins are listed

and if so...

rpm -qV mplayer-gui

to double check that they were installed.

I don't use livna - it appears that you are using Fedora Core 4 - unless
livna packages the same version of mplayer stuff for FC-3. checking
livna's bugzilla for mplayer-gui doesn't turn up anything of interest
which suggests to me that people that use livna repository don't
understand bugzilla.

Craig