top posting is better

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Oct 27 15:17:11 MST 2005

On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 10:11 -0700, Dan Lund wrote:
> That is where message-trimming comes into play, and really is a
> problem with both types of posting.  No orrogance involved, or
> intended, by a particular form of posting.  The next message just gets
> tacked onto the top, ready to be read at the click of a button.. with
> cliff notes below it just in case you forgot what the thread was about
> :-)
>
> --Dan
>
> On 10/27/05, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:
>
> > inherent in every top post is the assumption that this statement will be
> > the final statement to the topic which is a form of arrogance. A top
> > posted reply to a top posted reply (etc.) often gets so far out of
> > context that it makes it really hard to understand what has transpired.

----
sure but now you gotta figure out who I am replying to.

I am presuming that you aren't arrogant enough to believe that since you
top posted a reply, that I am therefore obligated by your act to
similarly top post...invocation of that rule would be inadmissible since
I left off at the bottom and if you wanted to expound or reply, it would
necessarily have to follow my comments - unless of course, your comments
had nothing to do with mine, in which case, you should start a new
thread.

There is an arrogance that someone's comments in reply to anothers'
comments are self-important if they come before the context - there's no
getting around that.

Then there's the issue that top posters don't generally trim.

I don't mean to go on and on about this - I will live with whatever
people do. I often move a top posted reply to the bottom before I start
my reply but I didn't in that one case and made note of it, which
started Major Mikey and stream beyond. It's agreed that we will not
***solve*** the issue as there clearly are people who do things
differently and aren't going to change. I don't insist that anyone
change - do whatever you want. I appreciate the concerns as expressed by
technomage and cannot think of any other reason that justifies top
posted replies but that is the way I feel.

Craig

believed to be clean.