Linux comm package.

Kenneth madhse at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 27 12:19:11 MST 2005

> I am working on a RS485 network that needs to have rts rapidly turned
> off at the end of a transmission. rts enables the transmitter. Windows
> has mode comX: rts=tg.  This toggles the rts on when there is data in
> the send buffer. I haven't found anything similar in Linux or GCC. Am I
> missing some information here?

More information is needed.  You don't specify what does the transmission and
what kind of access you have to turn rts off.  You also don't specify what
"rapidly" means.  Fast in the frame of human consciousness (e.g. 2 seconds),
or fast in the realm of what the computer could do (e.g. milliseconds).

Since you mention gcc, I'll assume you have a C or C++ program that does the
transmission.  If this is incorrect, ignore the remainder of the reply :)

The only way you would have access to something like this from inside the
program is through the driver.  You may already have opened the serial device
and are using the driver to send the transmission.  The driver should have
some provision (I would suspect an ioctl call, but I haven't used a serial
driver this way, so wouldn't know without research).

There could be many different answers depending on what you have and where
the control is done.