OT: Protecting an Internet pseudonym

Kevin Brown kevin_brown at qwest.net
Wed Oct 26 11:04:39 MST 2005

> Does anybody in the list know anything about the feasability of
> copyrighting or trademarking an internet pseudonym? Reading
> CmdrTaco's story today on /. got me thinking about how personally
> attached I've become to my pseudonym.
>
> Been googling this but haven't come up with anything relevant.

When in doubt, go to the source:
http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/tac/doc/basic/trade_defin.htm

     *  A trademark is a word, phrase, symbol or design, or a
combination of words, phrases, symbols or designs, that identifies and
distinguishes the source of the goods of one party from those of others.
     * A service mark is the same as a trademark, except that it
identifies and distinguishes the source of a service rather than a
product. Throughout this booklet, the terms "trademark" and "mark" refer
to both trademarks and service marks.

http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/tac/doc/basic/