plug] make vs. imake?

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Fri Oct 14 15:46:02 MST 2005

Am 14. Oct, 2005 schwätzte Robert N. Eaton so:

> R P Herrold wrote:
>

> > It is almost inconceivable that gnu make not available for any FOSS
> > platform and distribution, as 'make' is one of the basic tools
>
> That's what I thought. too. Never-the-less, Kubuntu installs without
> this and several other tools. The Idea, as I understand it, is to use
> only .deb packages.  This is frustrating, since Kynaptic (Kubuntu's
> version of Synaptic) doesn't allow nearly as many programs to be
> downloaded as Synaptic.

Hmm, I doubt that. What is more likely is that the default sources don't
have as many packages available. I've never heard of kynaptic, but I bet
it has a way to configure sources.

You will likely need to enable universe and maybe multiverse in addition
to the default setup.

> I was advised (by someone more knowledgeable than I) to download
> Synaptic, along with the necessary Gnome files, and use that instead.

You should be able to install synaptic from within kynaptic.

If synaptic and firefox aren't available, it's almost certainly an issue
with your repository sources.

> That way I can install the .deb version of Firefox, rather than
> attempting to install from a tarball. It was implied that firefox.tar.gz
> doesn't play well with thunderbird.deb, and tends to hose Kubuntu. (A
> process I would rather go through for myself: it's so much more
> rewarding ;-))
>
> While I had hoped that Ubuntu/Kubuntu was the be-all and end-all, they
> do seem to throw stumbling blocks under my feet. (And I tend to pick
> myself up each time, and rush on, as if nothing had happened. If I can
> curb this tendency, perhaps I may learn enough to feel more comfortable
> with Linux.)

Ubuntu is a very nice distro, IMO. It does have some problems. The main
ones that get to me are somewhat outside the distro's control ( legal
issues with some of the programs, codecs, etc. ).

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/
#  Like the maid, I don't do (M$)Windows. - der.hans