New PLUG website host!

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Fri Oct 14 09:39:03 MST 2005

I am pleased to announce that we have a new host for the PLUG website!

Integrum Technologies (http://integrumtech.com) has provided a virtual
host on a Linux server in the Phoenix valley.  We thank them for their
generosity!

Over the next week or two we will be getting a base configuation of the
site going.  The site will use the Joomla! (http://www.joomla.org) content
management system (CMS).  (Joomla! is a project split from Mambo, a well
known CMS.  Background story of the split from the project developers'
point of view can be found at http://www.opensourcematters.org)

At present we have only the default install of the CMS with sample data so
we are not going live with it yet.  However, we need your help bringing it
up to speed.

First, we need a template for the site.  In Joomla!/Mambo-speak a template
is the theme and layout of the appearance of the site.  If you have a
favorite template that goes well with the PLUG logo (Tux among the
cactus), please point it out to the group.  The goal is to find a template
that we can use "out of the box" with minimal changes.  I don't think we
have time or desire to do full template customization or development at
this time.

We'd like a template chosen by Monday so we can move quickly to finish
bringing the site online.

Second, once a template is chosen, we will need PLUG graphics to go with
it.  The template will largely dictate the size of the graphics so we have
to get that first.  But I want to get the PLUGger graphic designers
thinking about what they might like to create.  We will follow-up with a
list of graphics needed and their size requirements once the template is
in place.

We, the Steering Committee, are excited to finally get a new, local and
well supported place for plug.phoenix.az.us.  We thank you for your
patience with the current site.  We invite everyone to help get the new
site going with your input.

Alan