Oracle buys Innobase

Derek Neighbors derek at gnue.org
Tue Oct 11 18:49:56 MST 2005

Darrin Chandler wrote:

> Trent Shipley wrote:
>
>> Has anyone else heard more about this purchase and what it might mean
>> for MySQL?
>>

> I read the initial post on /., and the linked article saying that
> fixes and features would continue to be done by the mysql crew (since
> you can't take back previous open source releases).

Let's put a few things is some perspective.

1. MySQL wasn't even close to a production database (other than database
read operations) until they adopted InnoDB.
2. InnoDB accounts for over half of the MySQL engine types in use.

Let's go one step further and say MySQL adopted InnoDB because they were
not capable of adding the functions contained with InnoDB on their own.

So while they can actively maintain that InnoDB was GPL and they can
continue to fix the code and be factual is true.  What they can NOT
promise is that they are talented enough or have the right staff to
continue not only fixing but IMPROVING the InnoDB engine.

My bet is that Oracle will add some killer performance to InnoDB and
sell it as the "little brother" to Oracle's real deal.  Their SMALL
BUSINESS server.  MySQL will stay around and stay popular, but likely
most serious businesses will run the Oracle InnoDB extended version for
a small license fee.

The alternative is that Oracle is ready to enter the Free Software
market and will continue to GPL InnoDB.  At this point who really
knows.  My advice before and after this event, is use PostgreSQL instead. :)

--
Derek Neighbors