The $100 laptop

FoulDragon at aol.com FoulDragon at aol.com
Mon Oct 10 23:15:35 MST 2005

In a message dated 10/10/2005 10:27:40 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
plug-discuss at stcaz.net writes:
>Furthermore, none of that supports your premise, since there's no incentive
to write the >software to run ONLY on the proposed laptop, in fact there's
strong incentive to ensure it >runs on a wide variety of systems, so that the
investment isn't wasted if someone donates >a large group of more capable systems
to, for instance, schools.

Okay.  Two points.

1-  In all likelihood, the $100 laptops will be the slowest machines in wide
circulation.  So designing "for this machine and many others" will mean
designing for this machine.  Most of the time.

b-  There are some things where the optimal answer for some systems is
suboptimal for others.  For example, I had two portables with CGA (640x200)
displays.  One had a 4:3 screen and another a 16:5 screen.  Rendering code designed
for the 4:3 screen will produce oval circles on a 32:10 and vice-versa.  Indeed,
I recall an early wysiwyg DTP suite that let you select the aspect ratio for
that reason.

If 90 percent of your potential customers have one specific system, is it
worth the engineering effort and overhead to try and appeal to the last 10
percent who have different hardware?

It's perhaps not a matter of "there's an incentive to write ONLY for the
laptop" but "there's little incentive to actively write for OTHER machines if
these become a market-shaping force"

The screen sounds interesting though:  I'd love to be able to turn my LCD
into a 2560x2048 black-and-white display.