problem detecting ethernet card

Siri Amrit Kaur tigerflag at tigerflag.com
Mon Oct 10 06:43:58 MST 2005

On Sunday 09 October 2005 11:26 pm Kenneth kindly wrote:
> > I did it and it seemed to work, then it did it again- lost the
> > module after a reboot and I had to do:
> > modprobe eepro100
> > ifup eth0
> >
> > Checked the /etc/modules file and the line for eepro100 was gone.
> > Anybody know why it decided to disappear after I had put it in
> > there?
>
> What about your boot messages?  Does the module try to load at boot
> and fail? Or does it never try at all?

Here's what dmesg shows from the last boot. To my uneducated eyes, it
looks like the module loaded, but when I checked /etc/modules it
wasn't in there:

eepro100.c:v1.09j-t 9/29/99 Donald Becker
http://www.scyld.com/network/eepro100.html
eepro100.c: $Revision: 1.36 $ 2000/11/17 Modified by Andrey V.
Savochkin <saw at saw.sw.com.sg> and others
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKC] enabled at IRQ 11
ACPI: PCI interrupt 0000:00:0b.0[A] -> GSI 11 (level, low) -> IRQ 11
eth0: OEM i82557/i82558 10/100 Ethernet, 00:50:8B:6B:13:E4, IRQ 11.
  Receiver lock-up bug exists -- enabling work-around.
  Board assembly 702536-009, Physical connectors present: RJ45
  Primary interface chip i82555 PHY #1.
  General self-test: passed.
  Serial sub-system self-test: passed.
  Internal registers self-test: passed.
  ROM checksum self-test: passed (0x24c9f043).
  Receiver lock-up workaround activated.

> Some distros have a directory like /etc/modules.d or some such to
> put module load information in, or sometimes it can be
> /etc/modules.conf.  I don't have experience with Debian to make a
> concrete suggestion, but I didn't see any other reply so I thought
> I'd take a stab at it.

Thanks for trying- I appreciate it. I've looked in all the directories
and files in /etc that have to do with modules, but except
for /etc/modules, I don't know where else to put it. I'd know what to
do in Slackware. Any Debian folks out there?