computer forensics question

Devin Rankin devin at 11orless.com
Sun Oct 9 01:38:57 MST 2005

I don't know.

I was a computer forensic guy for the Phoenix Police Department.  I can tell
you that no local or state agency has any equipment to read a drive once it
has been erased and over written, even once.

There have long been rumors that equipment existed to read the data on a drive
that had been over written by detecting a residual magnetic charge of the
original data.  But with something being over written 3 or more times, I
really don' know how you would sort out what was original and what was the
3rd  or 4th pass of random characters.

Maybe this was possible on the older, lower density drives, but with todays
drives, and how tight the tolerances are getting between data tracks, I think
its getting less and less likely.

I trained with all kinds of government agent, from military to IRS, and none
of then had ever actually seen any equipment that would really be able to
read erased data.  If the equipment exists that can do it, its very rare, or
very secret or both.

Devin