cox connectivity issue

Ben Browning plug at emptiedout.com
Fri Oct 7 10:04:44 MST 2005

Darrin Chandler wrote:
> I eventually dumped Cox due to similar performance degradation. The
> problem was diagnosed several times as a signal strength issue, and
> supposedly fixed. It was never fixed for long, though.  And Cox kept
> trying to charge us for a service call even though it was obviously not
> a problem with my network or computers, but in *their* network or
> installation. Now I'm using Qwest's DSL, and while it's by no means
> perfect (their DNS servers stink), I rarely have any speed or
> connectivity issues.

Sounds like you need a local DNS cache :)

If you have a *nix desktop sitting somewhere on your interna network,
you can set up a DNS cache by simply installing bind or tinydns(a
buildit-from-source package including the dnscache program, written by
Dan Bernstein). A local DNS cache actually improves speed in most home
nets (well latency anyway) and is especially helpful if the link from
you to the outside world takes errors fairly frequently.

~Ben

--
---
"Confession only helps if you actually feel bad for your actions.