cox connectivity issue

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Fri Oct 7 08:15:09 MST 2005

Steven Crandell wrote:

> Hey all.
>
> Nobody at cox seems to be able to figure out what's wrong with my
> Internet connection.
> Thought it wouldn't hurt to throw it out to you all just for giggles.
>
> Here's the situation
> -I used to be a cable america customer.  The network in my
> neighborhood would drop out from under me all the time, which was the
> reason for my switch to cox, -however- when the connection was up, the
> speed was great.
> -I made the switch to cox and signed up for their 256k up and down plan.
> -I have the same internal coaxial, same internal catV and hubs, just a
> new drop to my house on a new provider network.
> -Once on the cox network, I found myself pulling a maximum of about
> 30-40k regardless of what site I was downloading from and regardless
> of the time of day.
> -When I'm downloading something at these speeds, my connection behaves
> as though it were totally saturated.  For example, my ping times jump
> from ~90ms to ~2000ms.
> -A cox field tech came out to my place and decided that the problem
> was a result of the fact that I had an older surfboard modem which
> could not be automatically updated by cox.
> -I bought the latest-greatest modem, and like magic I was instantly
> getting download speeds well in excess of 256k.
> -The next day, I was back to 30-40k max and have remained there ever
> since.
> -I have reproduced these results on three different computers, one
> inside my network (linux), two directly connected to the cable modem
> (linux and XP).
> -I get a full 10meg on all traffic inside my network.
> -I have asked one of the two level 2 techs that have worked on this
> issue to verify that my connection speed is actually being throttled
> down to 256 and not 56.  I'm told I'm definitely at 256.
> -When I use internet speed tests (toast.net <http://toast.net>,
> bandwidthplace.com <http://bandwidthplace.com>, etc) my speeds always
> come back in the 256 neighborhood.
> -I am not running any kind of a proxy on my network and have tried
> flushing all iptables rules from my router box.

I eventually dumped Cox due to similar performance degradation. The
problem was diagnosed several times as a signal strength issue, and
supposedly fixed. It was never fixed for long, though.  And Cox kept
trying to charge us for a service call even though it was obviously not
a problem with my network or computers, but in *their* network or
installation. Now I'm using Qwest's DSL, and while it's by no means
perfect (their DNS servers stink), I rarely have any speed or
connectivity issues.

--
Darrin Chandler
dwchandler at stilyagin.com