POP from gmail using fetchmail

Lynn David Newton lnewton at mvista.com
Thu Oct 6 12:37:23 MST 2005

Thank you to all three or four people who responded.
It's working now

  ldn> poll "pop.gmail.com" protocol POP3 : user "NOTMYREALGMAILUSERNAME" there with password "NOTMYREALPASSWORD" is "NOTMYREALLOCALUSERNAME" here ;

Corrected to:

  odn> poll "pop.gmail.com" protocol POP3 port 995 : user "NOTMYREALGMAILUSERNAME" there with password "NOTMYREALPASSWORD" is "NOTMYREALLOCALUSERNAME" here ssl ;

Now works just fine.

The fetchmailrc file is a bit arcane and requires a bit
of starting and stopping and man page reading and head
scratching to figure out exactly where to put things.

I'm not sure if the port 995 is superfluous in this
case. I think it worked without it, but it's in there
now and working, so I'm no fool and ain't gonna touch
it!

Once again I thank you. Problem solved -- no further

Lynn David Newton
MontaVista Software, Inc.
2141 E. Broadway Road, Suite 108
Tempe, AZ 85282