too many choices (distros)

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Wed Oct 5 14:52:18 MST 2005

Very good points, but...

I can usually make a snap judgement about whether I'd like to walk or
take a car. The pros and cons are obvious, because I understand what's
involved in each.

The big difference to me is that there's no easy way to compare Linux
distros, apart from installing each one, playing with it, noting what I
like and don't like, then doing it all over again for dozens of distro.
Okay, that takes *WAY* too much time.

What I'd like is a some resource where I could see which distros
specialize in what, what their philosophy is, which other distro they're
derived from, etc., etc. Then if I were building a server box I could
make a shortlist to try out. Same for a desktop surfing box.

When I started with Linux (mid/late 90's) there were just a handful of
distros and it wasn't hard to tell them apart. I blinked and now there
are a gazillion.

--
Darrin Chandler
dwchandler at stilyagin.com