too many choices (distros)

Matt Mets matt.mets at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 11:33:54 MST 2005

I have been using Gentoo for the past few years (after bouncing around
through a bunch of different distros), and I haven't looked back since
i switched.  I like having fun stuff like X composite extensions and
the newest version of Gaim.  However, I can see the attraction to
other distros, especially if you have more than a few computers to
maintain or have other things to do with your time then endlessly
reconfigure).  Re-compiling everything from scratch takes a long time,
and you have to have a deeper understanding of the packages you
install so they can be configured correctly (I'm sure there is a GUI
config program somewhere, but I ha vent looked for it).  The
documentation is incredible (but you have to read it), and the
hardware support is also quite good (particularly x86-64).  Use
whatever makes you happy or gets the job done.  A good friend of mine
uses Debian and has had success with it, so that would be my
recommendation for a 'casual' user.

-Matt