dd anyone?

Robert N. Eaton moth28 at cox.net
Tue Oct 4 08:44:14 MST 2005

To those of you who replied:

Alan Dayley:  I keep forgetting 1k actually means 1024.  I had tried
(among others) dd if=/home/bob/My_Documents/SBM/sbm.bin of=/mnt/floppy0
bs=1440k.  This, of course, didn't work. When I tried ... of=/dev/fd0
bs=1440k, that didn't work either.

Darrin Chandler: Using ... of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 worked, producing a
bootable floppy of Smart Boot Manager. (Yay!)

Mark Davis: Didn't use ... of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 count=256 as the above
suggestion worked. What does count=256 accomplish? I don't speak manpage
very well, and I have yet to take advanced courses in either cryptic or
arcane.  Thanks for the reference to Schroder's "A Linux Cookbook."
"Running Linux, 3rd Edition" has a copyright date of 1999; ancient
history in this fast moving field.

Kenneth: You were absolutely right, my .iso was hosed. Wouldn't install,
even with the help of Smart Boot Manager. (Boo!)

Thanks guys.

Oh, well. Once more into the breech...

Bob Eaton