dd anyone?

Kenneth madhse at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 3 23:31:35 MST 2005

--- "Robert N. Eaton" <moth28 at cox.net> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Trying to install Kubuntu (because I get along better with KDE than
> Gnome), I have run into a frustrating problem. I downloaded and burned
> the .iso file, but the cdrom would not boot.  I checked the BIOS to make
> sure that it could boot from a cdrom (seemingly no problem.)
>
> In the information in the .iso file the Smart Boot Manager was described
> as a way out of this dilemma.  I quote: "Then, instead of booting on the
> CD directly, you can create a Smart Boot Manager floppy image by using
> the sbm.bin disk image.  You can create this floppy with rawrite (under
> DOS) or with dd (under Linux)." This seemed like a good idea, so I
> tried, and tried, and tried.
>
> I've read man dd over and over, for all the good it's done me (Man, this
> does not compute.)(Sorry, couldn't resist.) The problem stems from the
> fact that sbm.bin is 1474560 bytes, a litle much for a 1.44 meg
> floppy--thus dd.
>
> I really don't understand how to use dd in this (or any other) case.

Others have given you usage for dd which is your question here.  If your
machine will otherwise boot from CD, then you probably either have bad media,
or burned it incorrectly.  In either of these cases the install will probably
fail anyway.

I haven't done anything with Ubuntu, but usually when you download the iso
image, you can get an md5 or sha sum of the file, then verify that it
downloaded correctly, and also checksum the CD after burning, to make sure
all the steps worked properly.