dd anyone?

Robert N. Eaton moth28 at cox.net
Mon Oct 3 16:29:06 MST 2005

Hi All,

Trying to install Kubuntu (because I get along better with KDE than
Gnome), I have run into a frustrating problem. I downloaded and burned
the .iso file, but the cdrom would not boot.  I checked the BIOS to make
sure that it could boot from a cdrom (seemingly no problem.)

In the information in the .iso file the Smart Boot Manager was described
as a way out of this dilemma.  I quote: "Then, instead of booting on the
CD directly, you can create a Smart Boot Manager floppy image by using
the sbm.bin disk image.  You can create this floppy with rawrite (under
DOS) or with dd (under Linux)." This seemed like a good idea, so I
tried, and tried, and tried.

I've read man dd over and over, for all the good it's done me (Man, this
does not compute.)(Sorry, couldn't resist.) The problem stems from the
fact that sbm.bin is 1474560 bytes, a litle much for a 1.44 meg
floppy--thus dd.

I really don't understand how to use dd in this (or any other) case.

Help.

Bob Eaton