Linux File Server in an Microsoft Domain

shadow shadow at digitalnirvana.com
Tue Nov 29 23:00:58 MST 2005

Bryan.ONeal at asu.edu wrote:
> Thank you, it is that kind of testimonial that is making me lean towards Red
> Hat.  And since I am making them purchase a support package, it should be even
> easier.  And before people push Cent OS (which I have used and enjoyed) let me say,
> 1) I am the only Linux knowledgeable person in the company,
> 2) I am currently their only IT staff,
> 3) I have my degree in, and was hired for, Accounting…  not IT/IS.

If you are looking at RedHat Enterprise, I would encourage you to look
at using Lineox or CentOS for automating security patches.  The RedHat
Network and Up2date programs have given me nothing but grief for
$700/year.  After purchasing RedHat Enterprise for a server, to support
continuing development, I use rpm-get/yum against a local mirror of
Lineox.  This has given me the best of both worlds, a true enterprise
operating system and complete control over the patch management system.

BTW - RedHat has fully supported me with knowledgeable staff, even
though I am using recompiled security SRPMs from Lineox.  Really a class
act if you go with their enterprise products.

--
Chris Lewis
shadow at digitalnirvana.com

"System Administrators are the Marines
of the business world.  We are the first
into the fight ready at a moments notice
day or night."

Hell's Admins - Bourne to Code
http://www.hellsadmins.com