Linux File Server in an Microsoft Domain

George Toft george at georgetoft.com
Tue Nov 29 16:36:27 MST 2005

*** PERSONAL OPINION FOLLOWS ***

I had a SuSE file server serving up a Windows workgroup.  One night, the
SuSE updater thing (fou4s) updated samba from version 3 to version 4.
The new config file was not configured so it did not work.  Dead
fileserver :(

It took less time for me to set up samba using the "old" config on a
RHEL3 box on the same network than I figured it would be to learn the
new config file, test, validate, etc.

so......

IMO, I would avoid SuSE.  After Novell bought it, the quality took a
quantum drop (maybe multiple quantum drops).  I found it hung frequently
(SuSE Enterprise Server 9 and SuSE Workstation 9.1).  I am not
impressed.  For those of you that know me, know that I pushed SuSE for
years.  Plenty of distro flame wars in the archives show that I
supported SuSE.  All things change.

Red Hat, on the other hand, is a pleasure to deal with.  LSB-compliant,
well documented, stable.  I am in charge of over 120 Red Hat Enterprise
Linux servers for one of my clients, and I have only seen one
vendor-related problem.  RHEL 4 has at least two improvements that I
submitted, which demonstrates their commitment to improving the product.

Biggest point to consider is that Red Hat won't change the versions of
the packages you are using.  Any security issues that arise are
back-ported to the supported releases, but you won't see the problem I
had with SuSE described above.

George Toft, CISSP, MSIS
AGD,LLC
www.agdllc.com
623-203-1760

When was the last time you backed up your business data?
Excellent!  When did you verify that your backups actually worked?