Why do I use Linux?

Ric Whitney rw at xend.net
Sun Nov 27 09:11:37 MST 2005

Invoked by June Tate's reply to my post on the 1984 thread:

I was never much into Sci-Fi.  The closest I ever got was LOTR and Thomas
Covenant.  I used to be a Handyman.  I read a lot of Shakespeaere and Dickens -
the classic stuff.  I started using Windows 3.1 in 95, when I got my first
computer - a 386 something or other.  As early as 96 I bought a copy of Redhat
5.2.  I guess I became disillusioned with the whole Windows thing very quickly.
I'm still left to ponder my reasons for even showing an interest in Linux in the
first place.  I installed Redhat 5.2 - couldn't get any kind of dialtone (had
dialup til August 99 when my son was born.) . What did /, /usr, /var, /etc
mean?
I was stuck to C:\.  I'm not sure where I'm going with this, just that I seem to
be somewhat ignorant in light of June's post - she's so intelligent.  I realise
that we're all ignorant - only on different subjects (Will Rogers).  I'm fairly
intelligent when it comes to book lernin'.  I just can't figure out why I turned
to Linux like I have.  Can anyone enlighten me? ;-)

Thanks for listening!

Ric Whitney
Transcend Development
"Producing the next phase of your internet presence"
http://xend.net
Premium Quality Web Hosting
http://xendhosting.com
rw AT xend.net