How to imbed images in an email?

Kurt Granroth plug-discuss at granroth.org
Sat Nov 26 10:15:19 MST 2005

On Nov 26, 2005, at 7:36 AM, Josef Lowder wrote:
> I do not use HTML for email (either to send or receive), but I still
> occasionally get some email messages that have graphics and images
> imbedded. How is that done?
>
> Sometimes I would like to be able to send an embedded image, too.
> How can that be done with Thunderbird and/or with Kmail? It seems
> that sometimes when I send an attachment it shows up in the body
> of the message and sometimes it is only available as an attachment.

The quick answer is that if you don't use HTML (or some other graphic-
rich format like RTF or Word, etc), then you cannot embed images in
any standard (works across all clients) way.  Plain text simply
doesn't support graphics or images.

So as to why you occasionally see embedded images even though you
don't accept or send HTML... well, two theories:

1. Your client is configured to auto-inline any attachment types that
it can display (most likely)
or
2. Those messages are HTML and you just aren't aware of it at the time

Likewise, when you send email with images, it will show up embedded
in some clients if they are configured in just the right way.  There
is nothing you can do to force that behavior on the sending side,
though, unless you send the message as HTML.

Kurt