Keep Exim4?

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Thu Nov 24 10:50:44 MST 2005

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005, Ben Browning wrote:

> Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
>> If you want to send outbound, you need an SMTP outbound client. It would
>> be nice for it to have queueing capability in the chance the first
>> network SMTP connection does not work.
>
> That's one of the config options when you set up Exim4 on debian.

Understood (and I have used it many times). The email was about removing
exim. But that is a good point -- the original poster probably should just
keep exim around.

By the way, I don't like how Debian's exim by default splits up the config
into numerous files. (I know that can be turned off.) I have ended up
creating several new files and modifying several of the configs and it has
been easier for me to maintain exim (for seven years or so) using a single
configuration file.

One benefit of having multiple configs for exim, is that you can install
other packages that may provide their own individual exim configuration
(specific for that package). Does anyone like the multiple configs? Why?

I taught a few Exim classes a few years ago, but haven't received any
interest to continue teaching it. I still continue to include Postfix in
my admin classes though.

And over the past few months I have seen a lot of work on a modular
sendmail (smX). Any one using it?

Happy Thanksgiving!

  Jeremy C. Reed