Kubuntu and GNOME apps?

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Wed Nov 23 13:44:56 MST 2005

I need a new distro for my kids' computer.  It has a SoundBlaster 16 (ISA)
built into the motherboard.  (Yes, it is that old.)

Ever since Fedora Core 2, the sound has not worked.  Yep, lots of time in
IRC and forums asking questions and now at FC4, no sound.  I don't have
desire to spend more time on it.  And, worst of all, the kids are
gravitating to my computer because, well, it has sound.

They are used to KDE so I was thinking Kubuntu, assuming it will find the
sound card.  However, there are a few GTK and GNOME apps that they like to
use.  So, I need Kubuntu with the KDE desktop with library support for
GNOME and GTK applications.  How hard is that to setup?

OpenSuSE would be the other canidate but I more familiar with it and know
that GNOME support under a KDE desktop is easy to get.

Alan