DHCP vs Static inside Home network

Kevin plug-discuss at firstpacket.com
Wed Nov 23 09:15:03 MST 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-23 at 08:49 -0700, Victor Odhner wrote:
> So:  Is there any reason why I shouldn't ditch DHCP and assign static
> IPs to these boxes?

It's a matter of preference and convenience.  Do what you like.  If you
have a lot of hosts, you might find it easier to leave DHCP running, but
configure DHCP lease "reservations" on the server.  This reserves
specific IP addresses for specific MAC addresses, so the hosts will
always get the same IP address.  The advantage here is that if you ever
want to re-number your IP address space, you just change it on the
router.  You don't have to change anything on the hosts.

Interesting sidebar:
I have a client with a very large datacenter wherein the servers are
frequently moved from one vlan to another.  They do this magic without
ever setting foot in the datacenter.  They change the DHCP reservation &
reboot the box.  While it's coming back up, they reassign the port on
the Cisco switch to the new vlan.  Done.

If your router doesn't support DHCP lease reservations, just turn off
DHCP on the router and move that function to one of your Linux servers.
It's dead simple to configure.

...Kevin