usenet about to die?

Bill Jonas bill at billjonas.com
Wed Nov 23 09:11:50 MST 2005

On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 10:28:58PM -0700, Technomage wrote:
> some of my informational capability. We must consider usenet to be a public
> resource (much as IRC is and e-mail definitely is) and convince these
> broadband providers NOT to drop the ball here.

I wouldn't say that IRC falls into the "public resource" category,
personally.  I've seen prohibitions on IRC *clients* in the TOS of many
hosting providers.  I knew that servers were generally a no-go -- even
Speakeasy, with the most liberal attitude of any ISP that I've seen --
but I hadn't heard of clients being prohibited by hosting providers.  (I
haven't looked around much at different ISPs' TOS, though, so some might
prohibit clients as well.  But I don't know.)

--
Bill Jonas    *    bill at billjonas.com    *    http://www.billjonas.com/
"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your front door.  You step