OT: new car advice

Kurt Granroth plug-discuss at granroth.org
Tue Nov 22 18:45:08 MST 2005

On Nov 22, 2005, at 5:57 PM, Frank Davenport wrote:
> This is excellent fiscal advice.
>
> In addition, all dealer services are going to be extremely expensive
> regardless of the make of vehicle you purchase.  The last place I
> would
> go for service is the dealer.

It's hard to argue that coming from a strictly cost point of view.
Lately, though, I've been taking all of our cars to the dealer and
absorbing the extra cost.  Why?  Because when I bring it to the
dealer, the work gets done right.  I have maybe a 50% success rate
with 3rd party shops.  And in some of those cases, the cost is
significantly higher than if I had just brought it to the dealer when
you factor in the multiple trips needed to fix what the shop screwed
up the first time.

YMMV, of course, but the only time my cars don't go to the dealer is
for oil changes.

Kurt