American race cars (formerly - OT: new car advice)

Mike Garfias mike at garfias.org
Tue Nov 22 17:40:28 MST 2005

Robert N. Eaton spoke forth with the blessed manuscript:
> Mike Garfias wrote:
>
> >Two small valves weigh more than one single one.
> Not really. Think cube-square law.
Yes, really.  you're failing to take into account the weight of the stem.

Two valves = two stems

A single LS1 intake valve (2.020") weighs 105gm that is a solid stem, hollow
stems are 93gm.  The 2.1" hollow stem valve is 97gm.

One single valve for a Ford 4.6L 4cam motor weigh 53gm for the small diameter
one, and 68gm for the large one.  Note that hollow stem valves are not
available for the Ford motor.

Last time I looked 97gm is definitely lower than 136gm. (Large sizes shown here)

These weights were pulled from Manley's catalog, and represent stainless
valves, not something exotic.  But theyshould be representative.

> Titanium is denser than Aluminum.
>
> Yes, but _much_ stronger. The article stated that Ferrari "found it
> necessary to..." Who am I to argue? ;-)

Well, frankly, I'm inclined to NOT trust ferrari engineering when their cars
need complete motor replacements after 30k miles.  The thing is, the pistons
are not that big to begin with, and don't need the brute strength of a conrod.