OT: American race cars (formerly - OT: new car advice)

Mike Garfias mike at garfias.org
Tue Nov 22 11:37:51 MST 2005

slegge at govliquidation.com spoke forth with the blessed manuscript:
> hahah I have seen cars in the 12's w/ powerglides does that count as second
> gear?

Sure!

> I think he was referring was the revvs the rotary can spin up to. Theoretically
> they can spin to insane rpm's and the torque/hp curves stay pretty linear where
> a mornal car will float valves or throw parts out of the block.  They make a
> wankel model-airplane engine I have always wanted to get my hands on a 5cc
> version they have ridiculous power for a larger combat/airobatics model
> planes.

The production car stuff never really did that.  Also they tend to not make
the low end torque, and that requires putting lower gears in to get the
performance.  The engine does have to spin to the moon to go.  Also, the
wankels while making lots of power for their displacement, are pretty fuel
inefficient.

> Some Sprint cars run mechanical fuel injection which is absolutely insane in
> cost for race application. Those motors rival those of the spec style in nascar
> in cost and performance in the outlaws. I knew a couple people who raced
> sprinters in the southwest and the $$$ they threw around was jaw dropping to
> say the least.

All sprint cars run on methanol, and use a mechanical hillborn type fuel
injection.  Btw, if you think those motors are nuts in price, the NASCAR cup
motors are in a whole other world.  The 410ci sprints actually make more
power, but they're less rule bound.  The NASCAR guys spend what they spend
because a 10hp difference can make or break a race.

Of course, stock cars don't do wheelies on dirt.  Gotta love that.