American race cars (formerly - OT: new car advice)

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Tue Nov 22 10:55:11 MST 2005

Lyndon Tiu wrote:

>On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 09:05:10 -0700 mike at garfias.org wrote:
>

>>Hmm.
>>
>>Did you know that overhead cams are an OLDER technology than pushrods?
>>

>Really?
>
>I wonder why most cars today use overhead cams?
>
>--
>Lyndon Tiu

This happens a lot. Someone thinks of a nifty technology, but it doesn't
work all that well for one reason or another. Decades later, advances in
materials, manufacturing, or engineering make an old idea feasible.
Continuously variable transmissions and other things are old ideas that
are beginning to be dusted off and used again.

--
Darrin Chandler
dwchandler at stilyagin.com
http://www.stilyagin.com/