OT: new car advice

Ric Whitney rw at xend.net
Tue Nov 22 09:32:55 MST 2005

Quoting Siri Amrit Kaur <tigerflag at tigerflag.com>:

> Coming into this discussion late, with a few thoughts not directly
> related to your car list.
>
> A financial advisor once told me that making new-car payments for
> years was the single worst thing someone could do if they wanted to
> build their family's financial prosperity. He recommended getting a
> good-quality used car, paying cash for it and never make monthly
> payments.
>
> Of course, a good, reliable used car might not come cheap and you
> might not have that kind of cash on hand, but it's something to
> consider.
>
> You can often find great deals on older, big luxury cars with a single
> owner. They've usually been well-cared for.  Nobody wants to buy them
> because they're looking for more fuel-efficient little cars so you
> can get them for a steal. I prefer big old cars because they're much
> safer if I get into an accident. I drive an '86 Crown Victoria with
> almost 200,000 miles on it, get 20 mpg and have been in 2 accidents
> that would have totalled a little car, but barely made a dent in
> mine. Aside from an oil drip and needing cosmetic work, it's a great
> car! The bluebook value is about $300.
>
> When it comes time to buy another car I'm going to get a diesel. The
> engines are simpler to work on, have fewer parts to break and best of
> all, they can run on vegetable oil AKA biodiesel fuel. Think about
> it: the next time there's either a real or fabricated energy
> shortage, you can fill your tank with vegetable oil and not be
> dependent on foreign oil.
>
> Biodiesel fuel emits no carcinogens or pollutants whatsoever. If  you
> really want to drive cheaply, you can get barrels of used frying oil
> from restaurants and filter it yourself. Otherwise, bulk cooking oil
> from Sam's or Costco is very inexpensive.
>
> Go ahead and laugh at me now.
>
> Siri Amrit

My wife has a cousin who drives a diesel Mercedes on frying oil from
restaurants,  He lives in Prescott and was running for Mayor. I don't
thiunk he
won or I would've heard about it. ;-)

Ric Whitney
Transcend Development
"Producing the next phase of your internet presence"
http://xend.net
Premium Quality Web Hosting
http://xendhosting.com
rw AT xend.net