What to use instead of Samba?

Dan Lund situationalawareness at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 10:12:58 MST 2005

Okay Victor, here is a (sanitized/altered) smb.conf file I use.
Granted, this is setup to authenticate against the NT4 PDC.
But, the setup of samba users locally is really documented heavily on
samba.org's documentation.  The rest should get you on the right
track.

The @admin and @marketing are unix groups.

# Global parameters
[global]
	workgroup = MY_DOMAIN
	server string = My Server
	encrypt passwords = Yes
	password server = pdc1 bdc1 bdc2
	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
	max log size = 50
	dns proxy = No
	local master = Yes
	wins server = 192.168.0.1
	create mask = 0770
	directory mask = 0770

#[homes]
#	comment = Home Directory
#	read only = No
#	create mask = 0700
#	directory mask = 0700
#	browseable = No

#[printers]
#	comment = All Printers
#	path = /var/spool/samba
#	print ok = Yes
#	browseable = No

#[shared]
#	comment = Shared Office Files
#	path = /home/shared
#	force group = users
#	read only = No
[Field Backup]
	comment = Field Backup Files
	write list = @admin,root
	force create mode = 775
	create mode = 0775
	force directory mode = 775
	valid users = nlund
	directory mode = 0775
	force group = admin
	path = /backup
	browseable = no

[journal]
	comment = journal
	valid users = nlund
	admin users = nlund
	write list = @journal
	force group = journal
	directory mode = 770
	path = /journal
        create mask = 770
	directory mask = 770

[marketing]
        comment = marketing
        valid users = nlund
        admin users = nlund
        write list = @marketing
        force group = marketing
        directory mode = 770
        path = /marketing
        create mask = 770
        directory mask = 770

--
To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so
many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled -