Ubuntu Breezy + Wireless Interfaces

Kevin plug-discuss at firstpacket.com
Sat Nov 19 11:34:20 MST 2005

Just finished the upgrade from 5.04 (Hoary) to 5.10 (Breezy) with no
incidents on my IBM Thinkpad T40 laptop.  However, I just noticed the
built-in Cisco Aironet wireless interface (uses the airo module) is
behaving strangely.

Of course, the airo module creates two virtual interfaces.  One for
normal wireless use and one for wireless "monitor" mode (sniffing).

On Ubuntu-5.04 the module always mapped liked this:
 - eth0 (e1000 module) wired ethernet
 - eth1 (airo module) NORMAL WIRELESS interface
 - wlan0 (airo module) wireless monitor interface

On Ubuntu-5.10 it's behaving differently.  At boot up the module maps
like this:
 - eth0 (e1000 module) wired ethernet
 - eth1 (airo module) NORMAL WIRELESS interface
 - eth3 (airo module) wireless monitor interface

Even worse, if I `rmmod airo` and later `modprobe airo` the mappings
change to this:
 - eth0 (e1000 module) wired ethernet
 - eth1 (airo module) wireless monitor interface
 - eth2 (airo module) NORMAL WIRELESS interface

Argh!  This is causing problems with my handy location scripts when the
interface names keep changing!  How can I pin this down?

...Kevin