Newbie Opinion of Ubuntu

KE7FEG eculbert at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 19 10:29:29 MST 2005

--- Darrin Chandler <dwchandler at stilyagin.com> wrote:

> John Wheat wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> > My name is John and I have been an on/off user of
> Linux as well as this
> >list for the last few years. I never really gained
> a great deal of Linux
> >know-how (lazy) but I give it my best and do a lot
> of reading as
> >appropriate. My current Linux venture is with
> Ubuntu 5.1. I must say I
> >like this distro especially apt-get. I have tried
> Debian in the past and
> >found it a little more advanced than my skill level
> and stuck with
> >Mandrake from ver. 7.2-9.2 and I would give Ubuntu
> a top rating for a
> >new Linux user as it installs quickly (40 min.) and
> quite feature rich
> >out of the box so to speak. Ubuntu even configured
> my wireless mouse and
> >keyboard, Mandriva 10.2 did as well btw. I hope
> this does not start a
> >distro war I just wanted to give my thoughts as a
> newbie on Ubuntu's
> >current offering.
> >
> >Regards,
> >
> >John Wheat
> >

> I haven't been on this list all that long, but this
> doesn't seem like
> the distro war kind of place. Plenty of discussion
> about pros and cons,
> but not many flames. Always nice to have some input!
>
> --
> Darrin Chandler
> dwchandler at stilyagin.com
> http://www.stilyagin.com/

Yeah, most of us are stuck or struck? on a distro and
love it for our own reasons. Mine is currently either
knoppix live..haven't loaded it lately, or Puppylinux,
fast and got what I want altho it does require
interaction at boot up since the ole cdrom doesn't do
the multi session thing for some reason. Oh, well. I
just save anything to printer or a new web page on geocities.

Remeber Katrina?
For several days, only amateur radio ops could get out,
and talk to others.
No Morse Code required for Technician class licensee
New hand helds start at about $85 and up for single band transcievers
at many dealers, just fyi.

Long live Knoppix, and Puppy Live Linux cd's.
Complete functional operating systems free if downloaded.