How to rename a long list of photo filenames?

Bill Jonas bill at billjonas.com
Thu Nov 17 08:34:44 MST 2005

On Thu, Nov 10, 2005 at 05:11:20PM -0700, der.hans wrote:
> It looks like he actually wants to leave off the last slash as it becomes
> part of the replacement. He also should leave off one of the first two
> slashes as he only wants to replace pict once.

Good catch on that.  I normally insert an echo inside the loop before
the command (and use -i when I mv or cp in a loop like that) to examine
the results before actually doing it.  Looks like I should have actually
tested that command before suggesting it. :-)

You're correct about the double slashes.  I tend to use them over the
single slashes all the time just out of habit, and the things I tend to
substitute tend to be unique portions of the file name.

--
Bill Jonas    *    bill at billjonas.com    *    http://www.billjonas.com/
"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your front door.  You step