When open source goes bad...

JD Austin jd at twingeckos.com
Wed Nov 16 21:29:25 MST 2005

slegge at govliquidation.com wrote:

> DEMO DEMO DEMO DEMO DEMO DEMO DEMO
>
> When on a tight budget ALWAYS demo everything first. It's easier to
> justify your hourly rate rather than the app. Especially when it's
> your name/ass on the line, I recommend you ALWAYS insist on not giving
> ANY billable information before you demo anything. One good way out of
> that is to say you are non-disclosured to not give out even the
> slightest information about who you are or who you are working for. If
> they are a viable business they will be aware of the fact many
> companies dont want people to know who uses what products. If I sold
> software I would want to showoff how wonderful and featurefull my
> product was not keep it closed up and hidden. As for open source gone
> wrong look @ apps like ARCserve how many possible ways can you package
> tar and gzip??? I swear Computer Associates sells sooo much rebadged
> opensource I don't know if they know how their own product works
> anymore. I really enjoy calling places who ask for a $50 incident fee
> when ITS THEIR FAULT!!! </rant>
>

> -Scott

They have a demo but if you don't save what you're doing often you lose
it (only works an hour at a time).
I decided to bite the bullet and just buy it and get the costs back from
the client later.
If the version I'd bought from them had been the latest/greatest and not
something that the real owners give away for free I wouldn't even be
complaining.

That kind of tech support chaps my hide too!  I've had a Oracle Tar open
for over a month now.. going nowhere.  In the process of redesigning the
app to code around the problem they won't help us fix :(

JD

--
JD Austin
Twin Geckos Technology Services LLC