When open source goes bad...

Lyndon Tiu ltiu at alumni.sfu.ca
Wed Nov 16 20:23:03 MST 2005

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 18:24:36 -0700 plug-discuss at lists.plug.phoenix.az.us wrote:
> I have a client that wants to build a large database application

Large database application? Usually with these things, you build a front-end web-based app with a SQL based RDBMS backend. Usually using something like Java/JSP or PHP or ASP (old style or .Net).

You could also do the old style Oracle Forms and Reports(expensive!) or the old style VB desktop based front-end or Java Swing based desktop app with a db backend but these are not as common as web-based apps these days.

> on a shoestring budget

Was your time part of the shoestring budget?

> so I thought I could give Rekall a try

Just curious, how much was the cost of the orginal Rekall purchase from theKompany?

> since I heard about it from the teacher in the access class I took last
> year.

<just my thoughts>
Usually, if you have a large database application, you do not use Access. Reading theKompany's Rekall website, it looks to me it's an Access equivalent.
</just my thoughts>

What you went through just sucks. Buying a piece of software that does not work is frustrating. It be best to learn from this experience. Perhaps you can tell us what you would do differently if you were given another chance to do everything all over again?

--
Lyndon Tiu