Is IPCop suitable, security wise, for VoIP?

Jesus E Zepeda JZepeda at CustomAutomation.com
Wed Nov 16 08:29:06 MST 2005

Hi, guys:

I realized that with IPCop you can have QoS by configuring traffic
shaping, but because implementing VoIP is not only about QoS, I do not
know if IPCop would be considered a conventional firewall for this task.

I am concerned about security and integrity of my data network. For what
I understand, a conventional firewall will be vulnerable to attacks,
specially because there are different signaling protocols you can use
with VoIP, such as SIP and H323, and characteristics on how they are
implemented are different. Also, the fact that these protocols require
to be dynamically opening and closing ports, using a conventional
firewall would require to have static port definitions. In other words,
open all the time, leaving open holes.

I appreciate any input that will illustrate and clarify capablities of
IPCop.

Regards,

Jesus E. Zepeda