Restoring Windows Boot Setup

Dennis Kibbe dennisk at linuxquestions.net
Wed Nov 16 08:05:01 MST 2005

On Tuesday 15 November 2005 07:19, Josh Coffman wrote:
> --- vodhner at cox.net wrote:
> > I currently have grub doing my boot-loading, but I'd
> > like to enable the Windows XP boot loader if
> > possible.  If not, tough toenails . . .
<SNIP>
> > So, given the XP setup disk, is there a way to
> > restore just the boot setup without endangering my
> > Linux partitions?  Then I can set up boot.ini to
> > point to my Centos partition and also to my grub
> > loader for the other handful of boot environments I
> > use.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Vic

While it won't help this time around, you can backup the MBr using dd (see
Google for details) and restore it with the same.  If you've changed the
partition table you won't want to  restore the complete MBR (don't use
bs=512), since the partition table lives at the end of the MBR.

Sorry, I don't have the actuall value for "bs=" in that case, but be aware.

Dennisk