I paid $160.00.......

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Nov 15 16:44:08 MST 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-15 at 16:06 -0700, Kurt Granroth wrote:
> Indeed, a TiVo is substantially more limited than a home-made box.
> However, I was responding to the statement that a TiVo could be more
> expensive (hardware-wise) than a custom solution.
>
> Personally, I am a huge TiVo fan and have three of them (one being a
> Series1... very hackable).  I find myself casting an eye towards
> MythTV (and various Windows solutions, to tell the truth) more and
> more lately, though, due to the lack of HDTV support (and to a lesser
> degree, the ability to remotely control my Series2 TiVos).  I am past
> the point in my life were I enjoy spending hours upon hours getting
> things to work so I haven't switched yet.... but maybe someday when I
> can find a pre-configured HTPC for under $1000 I'll abandon at least
> one or two of my precious TiVos.
----
heck I punted a long time ago. I had a mythtv setup and spent very
little time doing it but the computer was too noisy for my bedroom and
the LCD screen without interlace didn't work well for night scenes on
the screen.

at this point, I have Cox HD DVR - $10 per month and it's worked really
well - it does allow you to use an external firewire drive and I will
play with this sooner or later.

Myth is cool, tivo is an excuse to sell you a contract and for the price
of the contract, you can get better from your cable/satellite provider.

Craig

believed to be clean.